There are several ways you can come to Cape Breton. The most frequently used one is by car. If you are travelling by car, there are two entry points to the Island – the Canso Causeway at Port Hastings and the car ferries from Newfoundland. The car ferries to and from Port-aux-Basques and Argentia, Newfoundland, run from the Marine Atlantic terminal in North Sydney.
You can also take a bus – either a tour bus or a regularly scheduled bus like the Acadian Lines buses which run back and forth from Halifax every day.
If air travel is your choice, Air Canada has five flights daily between Sydney Airport and Halifax Stanfield International Airport, with connections to major centers in Canada, the United States, and
Some distances to Cape Breton:
|Boston||1352 km||840 mi|
|Chicago||2910 km||1808 mi|
|Fredericton||689 km||434 mi|
|Halifax||423 km||263 mi|
|New York||1683 km||1046 mi|
|Ottawa||1772 km||1101 mi|
|Portland, Me||1181 km||734 mi|
|Toronto||2108 km||1310 mi|
|Washington, DC||2058 km||1279 mi|
|London (U.K.)||4563 km||2852 mi|
Climate & Weather
Cape Breton is an Island of many faces…ocean, lakes, highlands, valleys, plateaus, rolling farmland and wilderness forests. Is it any wonder we have trouble predicting the weather?
The fall, however, is the most predictable of our seasons and it is arguably the most consistently pleasant. In October particularly, the skies are almost always clear, sunshine is abundant and the scenery is…well, indescribable. Temperatures in October range from about 5 to15 degrees Celsius in the daytime, depending on where you are (it is, of course cooler near the ocean than it is inland) and it has been known to go below freezing overnight. Warm clothing is strongly advised, and if you plan to camp, you should consider taking along a heater of some sort.
- For information on road construction and possible delays visit 511.gov.ns.ca
- Lots of great information on the new Cabot Trail website
- For more information on Cape Breton Island including accommodations, attractions and outdoor activities, check out the Destination Cape Breton website: www.cbisland.com (Opens new browser window)
- For more information on Victoria County: Visit Victoria County (Opens new browser window)
- Take in the colours along the famous Cabot Trail, in Cape Breton Highlands National Park: parkscanada.ca/capebreton
- We encourage you to visit our Partners page and to support our sponsors.